Ring! Ring! It’s Adventure calling. Do I pick up or do I let it go to voicemail?
Usually, I say “no” to his invitations because there are clothes to be washed, meals to be made and so many other things to get done at home. This time, however, Adventure didn’t just call. He showed up at my front door with his friend Summer Sun. My family and I all said “yes” to Adventure’s invitation and over the span of 7 days, we:
- listened to stories at the library
- tasted summer fruits at the farmer’s market
- had two play dates with friends
- celebrated my mom’s birthday
- watched two live musical performances
- explored the botanical garden
- fed ducks at the lake
- watched chickens lay eggs at the egg farm
- got nudged by sheep and a llama at that same farm
- walked in the park picking up rocks and sticks
- ran through sprinklers
- chased the waves at the beach
- picked fresh strawberries at the strawberry farm
- saw a whale wash up on coastal rocks
At the end of those 7 days I learned that adventure isn’t about a specific activity. Adventure simply creates an opportunity for my family to explore, learn and connect. We got dirty. We talked. We encouraged each other and laughed…ALOT!
At the end of the week, I sure was tired, but a good kind of tired. The kind where my body is weary, but my mind and spirit are refreshed.
Those 7 days were filled with purpose. Those 7 days were spent, not wasted.
My 7 day take away: When adventure calls, say “yes.”